Walk for Wellbeing South Downs Challenge
Walk for Wellbeing - South Downs Challenge 2024
Join fellow supporters of the Charlie Waller Trust on our second UK Walk for Wellbeing, this time taking on the South Downs Challenge and help us continue our crucial work.
You will trek 13.1 miles/21.2km through The South Downs Way, renowned for its diverse landscapes, cultural landmarks, and challenging terrain. Around 40% of this trek is uphill, and over 55% is downhill — it is not for the faint-hearted, and you will require a good level of fitness to tackle the ascents and descents. Your stamina will undoubtedly be put to the test.
Minimum age for participants in the event is 18.
Please note, this event is not organised by the Charlie Waller Trust but by Tribal Tracks, a third party event organiser.
Can't make it to the South Downs? Join us for the Virtual Walk for Wellbeing. More information coming soon!
Date: October 12 2024
Start Time: 10:30 approx.
End Time: 16:30 approx.
Event Capacity: 60
Cost: £45 registration fee plus a minimum of £250 in sponsorship.
Sign up today and support mental health.
A tough half-marathon distance trek across undulating terrain, taking in the beauty of this gorgeous UK coastline.
We will begin our trek at the highest chalk cliff in the UK, standing at 530 feet (162 metres). From there, we will head in a northwest direction inland, moving away from the dramatic coastline. The first half of the journey will be mostly uphill, beginning with a steep incline. So, there won't be any easy start or finish here.
After covering a distance of approximately 7km, we will make a turn towards the southeast and proceed towards Willingdon Point, which offers breathtaking views of Eastbourne. Our journey continues towards Friston, and then we'll cross the iconic Seven Sisters to reach Birling Gap, a beautiful coastal hamlet. Finally, we will face the last uphill climb, followed by a steep descent, which will take us back to Beachy Head, the starting point of this epic circular route.
Why Walk for Wellbeing?
Walk for Wellbeing - Side by side for mental health
One in four adults and one in 10 children experience mental illness, and many more of us know and care for people who do. For those struggling with their mental health, talking about it is usually the first step to getting better.
The Charlie Waller Trust is all about helping people to talk about their mental health, to learn to take care of themselves and get the support they need.
Whatever our experience, sharing it with others can be very positive. Knowing we’re not alone with difficult feelings can be a huge relief. Often we don’t even have to talk in any detail – just knowing that others have been in a similar place can be enough to give us hope.
That’s part of the thinking behind our Walk for Wellbeing, a marathon-length hike through London’s stunning royal parks. As Lucy says, "Supporting my daughter through depression and an eating disorder is one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. Going for long walks with my dog and a good friend, made a massive difference to my own wellbeing. It was a way to ‘let off steam’ in a healthy way and just by walking and talking with someone who I felt really cared, helped keep me feeling hopeful."
Why not join us for World Mental Health Day on this amazing trek through the capital’s most beautiful scenery? You and your fellow trekkers may all come from different walks of life, but you can be sure there’s one thing we all share: an understanding of mental health challenges and a passion for increasing everyone’s wellbeing.
£45 per person and minimum £250 in sponsorship.
The Trip Includes:
- Tribal Tracks UK qualified mountain leader;
- Logistical support crew;
- Virtual pre-departure briefing;
- Dedicated pre-departure support from a named Tribal Tracks director.
- Public Liability Insurance
- Risk assessment and emergency management planning
- A-Z of fundraising ideas
- Support materials (itinerary, kit list, fact files, Q&As, health notes, travel tips, responsible travel policy and guidance)
- Fundraising advice
- A Packed lunch and drinks on the day of the trek.
The Trip Excludes:
- Personal travel insurance, personal equipment and clothing
- Personal items
We kindly ask you to raise a minimum of £250 in sponsorship. This is in addition to the £45 registaration cost per person.
We want to make sure that we provide you with all the support and encouragement needed to make this event an experience to remember. We want you to truly feel like you are a part of #TeamCharlieWaller.
As a challenge participant with #TeamCharlieWaller we’ll give you:
• Support from our lovely office team and a dedicated contact
• Branded technical top (T-shirt or vest)
• Tips for achieving your fundraising target
Booking Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions for a guaranteed place for the Charlie Waller Trust.
Please read these carefully before registering for a place.
Charlie Waller South Downs Challenge (the ‘Event’)
12 October 2024
Participation and Fundraising
By accepting a guaranteed place in the Event you agree with the Charlie Waller Trust (the 'Trust') that you:
• Will inform the Trust immediately if you are unable to take part in the Event
• Will pay a registration fee of £45 to Tribal Tracks by 30 September 2024
• Will pledge to raise a minimum of £250 for the Trust
• Will contact the Trust as soon as possible if you are not sure you are able to raise the funds required
• Will only use lawful means to fundraise for the Trust and will not do anything that harms or is likely to harm the reputation of the Trust
• Agree that Gift Aid payments cannot be counted towards your fundraising pledge and instead will be considered as over and above the pledged fundraising total
• Give permission for your name, photograph, feedback and comments to be used free of charge in any future publicity, advertising, fundraising materials and on our social media channels and/or promotion of the Trust. Please note that your data will be shared between Tribal Tracks (Third party organiser) and the Trust for these purposes.
Health & Safety
I confirm that:
• I am taking part in the event at my own risk and will not hold the Trust responsible for any accident, injury or illness sustained
• I will prepare myself to the best of my ability for the physical challenge and will check with my doctor if I have any concerns as to whether I am medically fit to participate in the Event
• I will comply with the health and safety and other rules and regulations issued by the Event organisers
I accept all points stated in these terms and conditions.
Find the challenge for you!
Are you looking for an active challenge?
We have partnered with Run for Charity meaning we have access to over 500 different active challenges!
Bridge Day with Andrew Robson
Join us for our Bridge Day with the esteemed Andrew Robson, at Englefield House.
London Supernova Run
Run the Supernova 5K route at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and raise vital funds for the Charlie Waller Trust!
The Charlie Waller Trust
The Charlie Waller Trust is a registered charity in England and Wales 1109984. A company limited by guarantee. Registered company in England and Wales 5447902. Registered address: The Charlie Waller Trust, First Floor, 23 Kingfisher Court, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5SJ.
Copyright © 2024 The Charlie Waller Trust. All rights reserved.